Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Growing Green in the Garden

I got the idea of  planting seeds in cardboard egg cartons from my friend Cindie. I googled it and saw how you can plant the seedling and its piece of the egg carton right in the ground since they’re biodegradable. Great! We had always been drawn to those nice little seed planters in the store that you put right in the ground too.

DSCF5476

Let me tell you, this method is working wonders around here. The seeds in the cartons have all sprouted, while the ones planted in normal pots are still holding out on us!

DSCF5668

The other green gardening idea was more of a necessity. We bought some larger seedlings at the local market for very little (like 7 big broccoli seedlings for 50 cents!) but it was probably too early. We are eager for spring and gardening!

I know some of the vegetables we bought like cooler weather, but our ground temperature cannot be above 60 degrees F when the outdoor temp doesn’t even reach that daily yet. For a while, we let these seedlings grow inside too. But with a lack of indoor gardening space and their great growth indoors, we needed to move them outside. Our cucumber plants were about to bloom!

DSCF5648

We used part of an old clear shower curtain to cover our climbing cucumbers and covered the rest of the plants with large clear water bottle bottoms. Attractive? NO. Maintain order in the house and possible get a head start on the growing season? Yes! Hopefully we won’t need all the plastic coverage soon. And thankfully there’s the plastic trash in Portugal too that means there’s a good place for it to go when it’s had it’s second use in life. I haven’t moved too far from green living in Germany.

DSCF5647

Something a little prettier popping up in my front flower bed:

DSCF5650 “For as the soil makes the sprout come up and a garden causes seeds to grow, so the Sovereign Lord will make righteousness and praise spring up before all nations.”  Isaiah 61:11 ~

 

I’m sharing this at Works-For-Me-Wednesday, this week at Rocks in My Dryer.

1 comment:

  1. I started seeds in egg cartons last year and it worked so well for us! I love figuring out ways to green my garden. Thanks for sharing yours!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...