Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Recycle the Shells

Easter egg shells that is. I am a keeper at heart. It is hard to throw out beautifully decorated eggs! Last year I decided to keep some of the prettiest shells for a rainy day. Thankfully that “rainy day” came (albeit a sunny one!) and the girls used the egg shell pieces to make mosaic art as an Easter project.

DSCF6171

My oldest wanted to draw her own picture to glue the shells on, but ended up deciding it was easiest to make a basic shape (rather than a stick figure man!). The small pieces can be tricky to pick up and glue so I worked along the girls to get the pieces down. I think as they get older I’d like to separate egg shell colors so more detailed designs can be attempted.

DSCF6170

A fun coincidence--the day after we made our mosaic crosses, we went on a family adventure which included visiting some Roman ruins in our area of Portugal. We had heard the site showed how the Romans had below-floor heating, but I didn’t know we would get to see these:

DSCF6122 DSCF6121

It was awesome to get to show the girls how people 100’s of years ago created mosaics for their homes just after we’d made our own. It was also very fitting to discuss who the Romans were just before Easter. The girls awareness of that time period has only been from Bible stories of Jesus’ life under Roman rule. Hopefully it brought a little more reality to the Truth they know!

For an amazing list of other egg shell uses, see The Grocery Cart Challenge. I’m sharing this at Works for Me Wednesday and

Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. That's very interesting--the mosaics, and the heating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! We're eating our coloured eggs now and this is a great way to reuse those pretty shells. Thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good way to make those eggs last all year! Following you now from New Friend Friday @ TGC. I'm a crafty mom & we're homeschoolers too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is really cool!!

    http://coffeewithme.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so cool! I'll have to remember this for next year! Thanks for linking up last week! I plan to do another this week. Join me!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...